Saturday, April 26, 2014

Michael Miller Challenge

The Modern Quilt Guild (MQG) parent organization of the DCMQG, has fabric challenges to highlight certain designers several times a year, and currently it's Michael Miller. Each participant is given a stack of fat eighths and one can add any solids and any other Michael Miller prints to their quilted piece - it can be a bag or a quilt or really anything as long as it's quilted. Based on one of the fabrics which is the orange peel design, I decided to make a petal applique quilt. Since I just switched back to night shift, I have a decent amount of time available for sewing since the rest of the world isn't really awake on my off days (nights).
Several months ago during one of the bigger JoAnn coupons/sales periods, I got an entire bolt of WonderUnder. This evening, I ironed that onto the fat eighths and then cut out the petals and started arranging. Based on the picture, that background looks black, but it's really a deep brown. I didn't add any extras beyond the prints from what were given out. 

Pippa kept trying to get in on the action and was standing around my feet most of the time while I was ironing, and then she finally jumped up once I finished adding the second row of rings. There will be a few more rings. I think I will quilt it with a light colored thread to really make it pop on the dark background. I'm also thinking that I will only quilt the background and leave the rings to puff up a little bit with the battings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is fantastic! Give me your thoughts, and I make every attempt to respond to all of them.